How do you cope with an ex who is alienating you from your child?

How do you cope with an ex who is alienating you from your child?

On Behalf of | Oct 28, 2022 | Child Custody And Support

When parents who share a child decide to end their marriage, one of the most important decisions they will have to make involves working out a parenting plan for their child. 

But what happens if your co-parent is alienating you from your child?

Parental alienation happens when either parent strains the relationship between the child and the other parent. It is important to understand that family courts detest any form of parental alienation. Besides its effects on the parent-child relationship, parental alienation can also have long-term negative effects on the child

What are the warning signs of parental alienation?

To counter parental alienation, it is important that you know how it happens in the first place. Here are some of the warning signs:

  • The child is suddenly angry with you without cause
  • The child does not want to see you
  • The child spying on you on instructions of the other parent
  • The child seems to know so much detail regarding your divorce

If you suspect that your ex is alienating you from your child, you need to act quickly. Here are steps you can take in response to the alienating behavior:

  • Keep a journal of the alienating behaviors: Like in any legal matter, you need evidence to prove your case. The first step in countering parenting alienation is collecting evidence. While documenting your evidence, be sure to indicate the specific incident as well as the date and location it happened.
  • Talk to the child: While this might be a challenge, it is important that you strive to maintain a healthy relationship with your child. And while doing this, be careful not to influence or portray your ex in a bad light to the child. 

Knowing your legal options can help you protect your rights as well as your child’s best interests when dealing with parental alienation.