What should you do if your ex is not paying child support?

What should you do if your ex is not paying child support?

On Behalf of | Nov 11, 2022 | Child Custody And Support

The nature of the relationship notwithstanding, every parent has a duty to provide and care for their child until they become adults. And while some parents take this responsibility graciously, a few do not. If you obtain a child support order against your spouse, it is important that they live by its terms. But what if your ex is falling behind on child support?

Your ex can fall behind on their child support obligation for a variety of reasons. Perhaps, they’ve lost their job or business prospects. Or, they are battling a medical condition that is seriously draining their finances. While these may be valid reasons for falling behind on child support payments, it is not uncommon for some parents to fail to live up to their obligation for totally sinister motives.

Your options when your ex falls behind in child support payments

There are a number of steps you can take if your ex cannot pay child support for whatever reason. Here are some of them:

Talk to your ex about the payments

Not many things are as unsettling as a genuine inability to provide for your child. If your ex is going through a rough patch that is making it difficult for them to pay child support, then you might be open to the idea of modifying the existing order, albeit temporarily.

Seek enforcement of the child support order

If your ex is deliberately disregarding a valid child support order, you may need to seek the court’s intervention. In Texas, child support is enforced by the Office of the Attorney General. Some of the tools the Office of the Attorney General can use to enforce a child support order include placing a lien on the paying party’s property, suspending their driver’s license or denying their passport application or renewal.

Texas’ family courts believe children deserve the care and support from both parents. Find out how you can resolve an unpaid child support issue.