Forth Worth Attorneys For Child Support Modifications

It is not unusual for people to request modifications to the original custody and child support orders. A family’s needs change over time, especially when the economy is in flux. To get the court to change child support orders, you must prove that there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances.

Most people need an attorney’s help to modify an existing child support order. At The Law Office of Gary L. Nickelson, we have extensive experience with child support modifications. We represent mothers and fathers, whether they are seeking additional support or requesting that their obligations be decreased.

To arrange an appointment, please call our Fort Worth child support lawyers at 817-735-4000 or complete our contact form. We can explain your rights and options.

Making Your Case

In Texas, there are statutory guidelines for determining the amount of child support payments. Typically, the noncustodial parent will pay 20 percent of his or her net resources for one child; for two children, it is 25 percent of net resources. Currently, the maximum monthly child support payment is based on a net income of $7,500 per month. Net resources/income is figured in all cases by the Child Support Guidelines in the Texas Family Code.

You must be able to prove that there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances that requires increased or decreased child support. Whether you are requesting a reduction in your child support obligations or you are the parent seeking more child support, the burden of proof is on you.

Reasons that may necessitate a change in child support payments may include:

  • The paying parent losing a job or suffering another financial loss
  • The paying parent getting a higher paying job
  • The health of a parent or child changes
  • The child’s needs change

Contact Us

The court must determine whether the modification will be in the best interest of the child before it makes a ruling. We can help you argue your position.

To speak with a Texas family law attorney about your child support concerns, please call us in Fort Worth at 817-735-4000 or complete our contact form.